- slide 1 of 4
Dragon Age: Origins Item Crafting
Herbalism is a useful skill to have in Dragon Age: Origins because it allows you to create potions and other helpful items in the field, as opposed to buying them from a vendor. It can be pretty scary if you run out of health poultices in the middle of a dungeon, so having a character in your party who has the Herbalism skill can save you a lot of time as well as money. This article is the first of a two-part series in which we will cover the four ranks of Herbalism and what you can make with each. Recipes and effects are also included.
- slide 2 of 4
Lesser Health Poultice
- Recipe: 1 Elfroot, 1 Flask
The lesser health poultice is the basic healing potion which restores 50 health points. It’s especially useful in battle when you need a quick pick-me-up.
Lesser Lyrium Potion
- Recipe: 1 Lyrium Dust, 1 Flask
A lesser lyrium potion will restore 50+ mana points, so it’s very useful for mages who exhaust a lot of mana in battles.
- Recipe: 1 Elfroot, 1 Deep Mushroom
The mabari crunch is a treat for your dog that restores its health and stamina as well as cures an injury. If you keep a dog in your party, you should keep a supply of these on hand.
- slide 3 of 4
In order to get Improved Herbalism, which is the second tier of the Herbalism skill tree, you must be minimum level four. This tier lets you make twice as much stuff as the first one. Here’s what you can do:
- Recipe: 3 Elfroot, 1 Distillation Agent, 1 Flask
This restores twice as much health as the lesser health poultice.
- Recipe: 2 Lyrium Dust, 1 Distillation Agent, 1 Flask
This restores twice as much mana as the lesser lyrium potion.
Double-Baked Mabari Crunch
- Recipe: 2 Elfroot, 2 Deep Mushroom
This does an even better job of healing and restoring stamina, plus it will fix up to three injuries.
Lesser Injury Kit
- Recipe: 2 Elfroot, 2 Deep Mushroom, 1 Distillation Agent
This will fix any single minor injury plus restore 10 health. If your character goes down in battle and must be revived after it is over, they will come back with an injury that needs healing and this will help.
Incense of Awareness
- Recipe: 1 Lyrium Dust, 1 Deep Mushroom, 1 Distillation Agent, 1 Flask
This is great to take before going into battle, so long as you don’t have any spellcasting opponents. It’ll temporarily boost your defense by 10 points, but it also lowers your mental resistance while in effect.
- Recipe: 2 Deep Mushroom, 1 Distillation Agent, 1 Flask
I personally never use this stuff because even though it’ll boost your armor and physical resistance, it also slows down your movement and attack speed. It’s good for spellcasters who are hanging back casting spells and not moving around.
- slide 4 of 4
- Recipe: 4 Elfroot, 2 Distillation Agent, 1 Concentrator Agent, 1 Flask
This excellent poultice restores three times as much health as the lesser health poultice. Often times, this will bring your warrior from near death to full hit points again.
Greater Lyrium Potion
- Recipe: 3 Lyrium Dust, 2 Distillation Agent, 1 Concentrator Agent, 1 Flask
This potion restores three times as much mana as the lesser lyrium potion, and is perfect for lengthy battles when your mage is casting spells faster than his or her mana can recharge.
- Recipe: 3 Elfroot, 3 Deep Mushroom, 2 Distillation Agent, 1 Concentrator Agent
This is a beefed up version of the lesser injury kit in that it instantly cures up to three injuries as well as gives you 20 health points. Save these for after the really tough fights.
Lesser Elixir of Grounding
- Recipe: 1 Frozen Lightning, 1 Concentrator Agent, 1 Flask
This elixir gives you a 30% bonus to your electrical resistance and it lasts for three minutes.
Lesser Ice Salve
- Recipe: 1 Frostrock, 1 Concentrator Agent, 1 Flask
This salve grants you 30% resistance to cold damage and lasts for three minutes.
Lesser Nature Salve
- Recipe: 1 Lifestone, 1 Concentrator Agent, 1 Flask
This gives you a 30% resistance to nature damage and lasts for three minutes.
Lesser Spirit Balm
- Recipe: 1 Spirit Shard, 1 Concentrator Agent, 1 Flask
This gives you a 30% resistance to spirit damage and lasts for three minutes.
Lesser Warmth Balm
- Recipe: 1 Fire Crystal, 1 Concentrator Agent, 1 Flask
This balm grants you a 30% resistance to fire damage and lasts for three minutes. This is especially useful for handling fireball type traps if you don’t have a rogue to disable them.
- Recipe: 2 Lyrium Dust, 2 Deep Mushroom, 1 Concentrator Agent, 1 Flask
The swift salve is awesome! It boosts your movement by 20%, attack by 25%, and aiming by 10% for a full minute. If you find yourself against a tough opponent, this salve will make your character move and hit faster.